Healthy, quick and easy chickpea burgers
Who doesn’t love a good burger? Even though this is a recipe for veggie burgers, it is delicious and will be loved even by meat maniacs. It’s is my go-to recipe for lunch and dinner because it is so quick and easy. I make it often and I love experimenting with the different spices and ingredients. You can also add zucchini, celery or peppers.
However, in this post, I’ll show the way I usually make my chickpea burgers.
Healthy chickpea burgers
- 500 grams cooked chickpeas from a can or a jar
- 1 egg
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- olive oil for pan frying
- Rinse and drain your canned chickpeas. Divide them in half.
- Roughly process the first half in a blender or food processor. Move to a large bowl.
- Put the rest of the chickpeas in the blender and crack the egg. Mix that well. It will be smooth because of the egg. Move to the same large bowl and mix everything well.
- Heat a non-sticking pan at medium heat and add about 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Peel and grate your carrots, chop your onion and garlic finely and add this to the pan.
- Fry for about 5 minutes until everything softens and there is no more moisture and add your spices.
- Then add your veggies to the chickpea mix. Add your cornmeal and stir well. If the mixture is too wet just add more cornmeal.
- To make one burger I use a heaping tablespoon of the mixture. It is easier to form the burgers if your hands are damp.
- Pan fry your burgers in the same pan for about 3-4 minutes per side and enjoy hot or cold!